STATEMENT OF ETHICS
In alignment with the https://www.humanetech.com
Our promise to you
Ponderings seeks to inform and inspire, providing you with stories about people you may not have had the opportunity to know otherwise. We seek to bridge the gap between inequality, inclusion and polarization through a shared narrative. Our promise to you is to commit to doing so ethically; we no longer use social media platform advertising, we built our app ourselves so not to expose you to data collection and protect your privacy, and we continue to navigate this space with integrity and the information available to us.
We always seek permission from contributors and artists. We pay our journalists. We do not use paid product placement, and we do not advocate for anything in return for money —pure storytelling without any sleight of hand.
Rules of engagement
We will not:
Set posting quotas to optimize for the algorithm.
Further amplify sensational stories, employ opaque "curiosity gaps", or use copy as clickbait.
Collect any data that isn't provided with your express consent or necessary for the basic management of our web properties (Monetize our content through the use of interruptive or targeted ads, or any ads for that matter.
Use a Facebook tracking Pixel or Instagram pixel to track your movements.
Invite in dialogue and commenting on our posts, but will not stand for hate speech or other inflammatory attacks e.g., revealing personal information, using obscene language, etc.
Social Media Community Guidelines
Ponderings wishes to promote a socially conscious and inclusive online experience for members of our online community.
We expect posts to our page, and our APP to meet strict guidelines. We ask that you treat all people, including admins and guests to our sites, with respect and courtesy. Please respect other people's views and opinions.
Comments or posts using inappropriate language, which are abusive towards others, or which appear to deliberately provoke arguments, will be deleted and/or the user will be blocked.
Guidelines on posting to Ponderings social media pages and platforms
The following guidelines are to ensure that Ponderings Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, App and website pages are inclusive and safe, with lively, entertaining and, above all, intelligent discussions. This document draws extensively on DCA's community standards and participation guidelines.
- Be supportive and non-judgemental, and treat all members with respect at all times. Please respect other people's views and beliefs and consider your impact on others when making your contribution. We welcome debate and dissent, but personal attacks (on any individual), persistent trolling and mindless abuse will not be tolerated.
- For the sake of robust debate, we will distinguish between constructive, focused argument and smear tactics.
- Keep it relevant. We know that some conversations can be wide-ranging, but if you post something which is unrelated to the original topic ("off-topic") then it may be removed, in order to keep the thread on track. This also applies to queries or comments about moderation, which should not be posted as comments. We reserve the right to remove any post that contains large amounts of untargeted, unwanted or repetitive content
- We understand that people often feel strongly about issues in the diversity and inclusion space, but we will consider removing any content that others might find extremely offensive or threatening.
- We will not tolerate racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, religious intolerance or other forms of hate-speech, or contributions that could be interpreted as such. We recognise the difference between criticising a particular government, organisation, community or belief and attacking others.
- We will not tolerate any post that is, or could reasonably be perceived to be, defamatory, obscene, offensive, threatening, abusive, pornographic, vulgar, profane, indecent or otherwise unlawful, including material that racially or religiously vilifies, incites violence or hatred, or is likely to offend, insult or humiliate others based on race, religion, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation or any physical or mental disability.
- Inappropriate, illegal or abusive content will be moderated. The moderator will make a judgement about severity, and make an appropriate decision about issuing a warning, requesting a post be removed, deleting a post or blocking a person from this page if the following types of content is posted:
- Profane, defamatory, offensive or violent language
- “Trolling”, or posting deliberately disruptive statements meant to hijack comment threads or throw discussions offtrack
- Attacks on specific groups or any comments meant to harass, threaten or abuse an individual
- Hateful or discriminatory comments regarding race, ethnicity, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation or political beliefs
- Links or comments containing sexually explicit content material
- Discussion of illegal activity
- Spam, link baiting or files containing viruses that could damage the operation of other people’s computers or mobile devices
- Acknowledgement of intent to stalk an individual or collect private information without disclosure
- Commercial solicitations or promotion of profit making businesses
- Content determined to be inappropriate, in poor taste, or otherwise contrary to the purposes of the group
- Advertising of any products or services is not permitted. This includes the promotion of personal businesses/companies.
These are in addition to guidelines and regulations of the social platforms.
Using the #ponderings hashtag and tagging Ponderings magazine in your social media posts
- By tagging Ponderings in your Instagram or Facebook photos or using the hashtag #ponderings in your posts, you give Ponderings permission to share that media, and accompanying message, with our community including our email send outs, website, and our Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, Google, Google News and YouTube pages.
- Ponderings will provide credit by tagging you if possible.
- To ensure we see the post, your Instagram account must be a public account (not private). Likewise, the Facebook post must be a public post.